When you’re moving house, you want to know that the job is in good hands. Finding a reliable Removalist can be hard – and that’s only half the battle. Once you’ve settled on a reputable company, don’t expect them to magically whisk away your stuff. The list of things to do in preparation for moving day is long. Make sure that things run smoothly and your belongings make it safely to your new home with this essential moving checklist.
BEFORE THE MOVE
Moving is always chaotic and unsettling but, if you plan ahead, you can minimise the stress. Don’t leave things to the last minute. Start organising your affairs at least a month before the move.
Get Your Affairs In Order
- Arrange time off work on moving day.
- Create a folder for all your moving documents.
- Notify Electoral Office of your new address.
- Update Drivers Licence and Car Registration with new address details.
- Arrange to have your mail held or redirected to your new address.
- Cancel or redirect newspaper and other subscriptions.
- Transfer and set up utilities at your new address.
- Arrange mail forwarding to your new address.
- Check manufacturer instructions for moving your washing machine.
- Coordinate Council collection or dispose of everything that you don’t need.
- Arrange transfer of Internet, telephone, bank accounts, gas, and electricity connections.
A Packing Plan
- In the weeks leading up to the move, use up all frozen foods and perishables.
- Prepare an inventory of everything you own, noting any scratches or dents.
- Draw up a floor plan of your new home. Measure doors and spaces to ensure your furniture will fit, particularly the fridge.
- Identify any precious items that require special care to move.
- Tidy and pack out-of-sight areas, like the garden shed and under the house.
- Dismantle any furniture that can be disassembled. Any screws and hardware should be labeled and either taped to the furniture pieces or stored in an ESSENTIAL ITEMS box, together with things like remote controls, cabinet keys, and assembly instructions.
- Based on your inventory list, order packing materials (boxes, labels, bubble wrap, tape, markers, and paper) from your Removalist or Storage Company.
- Pack heavier items in small cartons; lighter items in big cartons; and heaviest items on the bottom.
- Prepare an inventory list of the contents of each carton. Mark boxes containing glass or delicate items with a FRAGILE label.
- Label each carton clearly, noting in which room of the house it belongs and a description of contents (or a number that corresponds with your inventory list).
- Pack and label a LOAD LAST box containing everyday items, like kettle, tea and coffee, breakfast needs, school gear, bathroom essentials, telephone, medication, snacks, light globes, batteries, and tools. Consider taking this box with you in your car, together with any sentimental or personal items.
- Lightly water your indoor plants and pack into plastic lined boxes.
- Defrost and empty out your refrigerator. Take the remaining contents with you in a portable Esky with ice.
- Clean the oven.
Once you’ve checked all of your pre-moving items off the list, moving day should be a piece of cake. With these six steps, you’re ready to say goodbye to your old home:
- Leave a friendly note for the new residents, with your contact details and any helpful neighbourhood information.
- Remove your remote control garage opener from your car.
- Keep a vacuum on hand for last minute cleaning.
- Say farewell to your old neighbours.
- Turn off the power and lock all doors and windows.
- Check off all items as they are moved into the moving van.
Katie is a blogger, digital marketing specialist and community manager for Airtasker, a community-based marketplace. People post and receive offers for moving services from Airtasker in Australia. Katie is a great cook and also enjoys interior design, especially DIY. Living next to the beach, she’s always there (on weekends) swimming, catching up with friends or volunteering as a lifesaver.