Sell with Confidence
Read More
Property Management

Starting a Tenancy

Information you need to know at the start of a tenancy:

Rental bond and deposits

At the start of a tenancy, a tenant may be asked to pay a rental bond. This is lodged with the RTA until the end of the tenancy.

  • A rental bond is a security deposit a tenant pays at the start of a tenancy.
  • It is lodged with the RTA using a Bond lodgement (Form 2) by mail, in person or online.
  • It is held by the RTA and is paid back to the tenant at the end of the tenancy provided no money is owed to the property manager/owner for rent, damages or other costs.
  • It may be possible to transfer a bond from one property to another. See the Transferring a rental bond page for more information
  • See the Getting your rental bond back page for information at the end of a tenancy.

In addition to rent, if specified in the tenancy agreement, the tenant/resident may also have to pay for electricity, gas or water.

Entry Condition Report

The Entry condition report records the condition of the property at the start of the tenancy.

  • The property manager/owner completes the form, signs it and gives a copy to the tenant at the start of the tenancy.
  • After completing and signing the form, the tenants must return the completed entry condition report to the property manager/owner within 3 days.
  • The property manager/owner will then return a copy of the signed and completed report to the tenant within 14 days.
  • The Entry condition report will be a vital tool in getting a bond refunded at the end of the tenancy.
  • If a tenant does not complete and return the report it means that they agree with the property manager/owner’s description of the property and it is an offence not to complete the report.
  • The completed report and any photos or video could be used as evidence by the tribunal in the event of a dispute.
  • The Entry condition report (Form 1a) is used for general tenancies (house, unit, townhouse, houseboat).

The Condition report (Form R1) is used for rooming accommodation.

(All information has been provided by the Residential Tenancies Authority and further information can be accessed by visiting their website or contacting them directly 1300 366 311)